Friday, October 29, 2010

Mountain halibut for mountain man

I've been very hungry.

This isn't wholly unexpected. For the last 8 years or so, I've been pretty much paid to sit and think. Sometimes there's been some scurrying around involved, but for the most part I've had a desk job. I've generally gotten exercise very deliberately-after work runs, weekend hikes, etc- and my metabolism has adjusted accordingly.

But all this physical labor is different. Lugging things around. Lifting things up, setting them down. Swinging a splitting maul for an hour or so every morning. By the end of the day (or the end of the morning!) I'm starved. The boy just laughs. He's a carpenter, so this kind of work is literally in his job description.

So we've been eating a lot. Mostly meat: Steak, chili, chili nachos, chili on potatoes (I made a big batch!) bacon and pancakes, bacon and eggs. Nowhere near enough vegetables. You get the idea.

The other night, I finally stepped away from the freezer full of stew meat, ground beef, new york strips and the like. I wanted something else. I settled on the mountain dal recipe from the phenomenal cookbook/travelogue Mangoes and Curry Leaves by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. If you haven't heard of them, I highly recommend you check out their books. The photographs and stories that accompany a treasure trove of recipes are gorgeous, and they travel all over the world; this particular book focuses on the Asian subcontinent.

As I was starting dinner, Tory came over to survey the work. "Where's the meat?" Sighing, I was reaching for some chicken to saute when I came across our last fillet of halibut. I topped it with some tumeric, grated ginger and garlic to echo the flavors in the dal, and slid it in the oven. It was a great addition, alongside dollops of yogurt and chutney I piled on top when everything was done.

The superb leftovers
Mountain Halibut

1 fillet of halibut or another white fish
1 tsp. turmeric
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or microplaned
1 inch of ginger, finely chopped or microplaned
olive oil
salt
pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the fillet, then the turmeric. Smear the garlic and ginger onto the fish, and drizzle a little oil over the top. Let come to room temp, cover with foil and slide in the oven. Uncover after about 5-7 minutes. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until the fillet is just opaque inside. Serve alone, or with a good hearty dal. 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.