Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mexican Dreams


 It's been a little gray here. 

Not that I mind. I'm quite content to sit and watch the weather move in and out. It's not deathly cold- the temperature has been hovering around freezing- and I've been dreaming. 

Dreaming of Mexico, to be exact.  Tonight we head to the Pacific coast, and warmer weather for a few weeks. November isn't a very pleasant time in Alaska, and we try to leave for a chunk of it. 

So, to get in the mood- and prepare my eyes for colors other than off-white, gray and cedar, I made myself a colorful salad last night. It's a pretty simple salad- just carrots, red cabbage and a strong mustard vinaigrette. A play on carottes râpées- a favorite in my house when I was growing up. Nothing special, just color.



Carottes Râpées with cabbage 
      4 small servings, or two large

For the vinaigrette:

1 tbs good mustard
2 tbs red wine vinegar
4 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried dill (optional)

For the salad:

4 large carrots
1/4 head of red cabbage
juice of one lemon or lime


Grate carrots, slice cabbage very thin. Run knife over sliced cabbage once  so the pieces are a bit smaller. Mix in bowl. Add vinaigrette to taste. I added a squeeze of lemon at the end and it brightened up considerably. Leftovers are lovely the next day, or even the day after that.
 
PS- Since we'll be in Mexico, posting will be scarce, but I've prescheduled a few posts to go up while we're gone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.